My list of games-related articles, resources, and media that I find particularly great:
- Kentucky Fried Zero, Part 1, by Magnus Hildebrandt. Read it here. Parts two and three are worth reading as well.
- Two game design talks: Hearts and Minds by Frank Lantz and Music Object, Substance, Organism by David Kanaga.
- E3 2014: A Week in the Woods, by Cara Ellison. Read it here.
- Punk Games, by Zoe Quinn. Read it here.
- The Scratchware, notgames, and rejecta manifestos.
- Report from the field: A MAZE 2016, by Robert Yang. Read it here.
- A Moment of Perfect Beauty, a piece on Adam Cadre's Photopia, by Jonas Kyratzes. Read it here.
- Why did ancient Egypt spend 3000 years playing a game nobody else liked?, by Christian Donlan. Read it here.
- A Psychogeography Of Games #1: Kentucky Route Zero, by Hannah Nicklin. Read it here.
- Cara Ellison on: The Poetics of Space, by Cara Ellison. Read it here.
- Practically impossible: The quest to decipher Fez's cryptic final puzzle, by Sinan Kubba and Kyle Orland. Read it here.
- Iteration fetishism: Making an infinite library, by Marcus Beard. Read it here.
- 'The Witness' Creator Jonathan Blow on Science, Language and Reality, by Matt Peckham. Read it here.
- I Covered The Fresh Hell of E3 Secondhand So You Can Now Safely Experience It Thirdhand, by Aevee Bee. Read it here.
- Starseed Observatory, a mixed-media video games criticism project for critquing, analyzing, and presenting ongoing discourse around the game Starseed Pilgrim. Website here.
I share similar articles & news on Twitter at @wordsandgames
Any game-related writing not found on my blog
can be found below:
- KRZ Character Guide. A collection of the characters, and their stories, encountered in Kentucky Route Zero. (An analysis of the backstory and references in KRZ through an exploration of its characters.) Read it here.
- Mae Borowski's Guide to the Sky. Stories of the constellations in Night in the Woods. Read it here.
Here are some good websites related to games:
Shut Up & Sit Down Paolo Pedercini's homepage Eric Zimmerman's blog
notgames CRITICAL//PATH OpenGameArt.org Hand Eye Society A MAZE.
For my own formal writing/reviewing I've done of games, see my Blog